Saturday, August 27, 2011

Counting Calories

I have to pontificate on the laborious process that is calorie counting. Today marks five faithful days that I have dutifully kept a food journal, complete with accompanying calories. I have yet to break the 2,800 mark, and seem to average about 2,700.

Before I eat anything, I have to look it up online and see what the calorie count is associated with it. Then I have to keep a running total so that by the time lunch or dinner rolls around, I know how many calories I have left. It's an annoying process to be sure, but one that I'm trusting to bring my body where it should be.

My wife made B.L.T.s for dinner a couple nights ago and I did not partake, because I assumed that the bacon and mayonnaise would have been high calorie numbers. Instead I got out some leftovers of meals that I had already totaled in my food journal. Would the B.L.T. really have been more calories than the actual meal I chose to eat? I don't know. But the tedious task of researching the foods and their calorie counts seems to be impacting my desire to eat new meals.

One would think that 3,000 calories would really be way more food than I would need on a given day. As previously noted, however, the calories can add up quickly if I'm not careful. This week has taught me that cheese, above all other foods I've consumed, is one of my prime enemies. Which is too bad, because I love cheese.


I wonder what other enemy foods I'll discover along the way?

1 comment: