Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 4: Yoga

I would have been blindsided by Horton this morning were it not for others already approaching me about P90X's Yoga segment. It's 90 minutes long. Tony. Seriously. I have a life outside of your program.

I won't lie. At the 75 minute mark, I pushed the stop button. But that's only because the last 15 minutes are warm-down stretches, including one minute of the "corpse" position where you just lay on your mat like you're dead. I'm sure I'll make up for my missed minute when I hit the sack tonight and spend 8 hours in the corpse position.

Otherwise, I appreciated the introduction to Yoga and an education of its various poses. Of course, because of it I now hate dogs, warriors, trees, triangles and moons. For those of you not familiar with Yoga, it's basically a series of bodily poses and contortions that are not natural or easily sustained. The benefit is that it encourages flexibility, which I am not at all. In fact, at no point during my attempts this morning did my hands make it lower than mid calf on either leg. I do recall a time in my younger sporting days when I could at least put my fingers on the ground, if not the palm of my hand. But not now.

The other Yoga discovery I made this morning was that the mat I purchased is not very tractionable. My toes were constantly slipping during upward dog. I may have to wear shoes from now on.

Oh, and I still don't understand nor buy into the whole "cleansing breath" and "clear mind" attributes of Yoga. There is no cleansing or clearing when you've got your left hand reaching behind your back, under your groin trying to connect with your right hand wrapped around your right thigh, while balancing on your left leg.

Yeah, I don't think so, Tony.


2 comments:

  1. (laughing) Of all the segments, this is the one that I most wanted to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done the beginning of this enough times that I don't need to video anymore. I don't think I've actually made it through 90 minutes either though. I'd buy you a plane ticket to see you in the position in the picture.

    ReplyDelete